SERVSIG and Maastricht University wishes to recognize outstanding doctoral dissertations in service research. Therefore, we are pleased to announce the establishment of the annual
“SERVSIG Best Dissertation Award in Service Research”
granted by Maastricht University
The Department of Marketing & Supply Chain Management at Maastricht University in the Netherlands, has a strong reputation in the field of Services Marketing, which has been the main focus since its inception. Maastricht University is proud to be recognized as a top marketing department by the global research cooperations on state-of-the-art service research and by the different research awards that Maastricht cherishes. The Service Science Factory at Maastricht University brings together business and academia to help organizations differentiate themselves through innovative services and to validate academic service research with different external non-academic stakeholders.
Maastricht University is excited to host the 2016 SERVSIG conference from June 17-19 (www.servsig2016.com).
Award, Eligibility, and Selection:
- Candidates must be doctoral students / graduates in marketing or a related field (e.g., consumer behavior, marketing strategy, operations management, organizational behavior, human resources, strategy, finance, information systems, economics, etc.) in an official university (inside or outside the U.S.).
- To be eligible, students must (have) submitted their dissertation between August 1, 2014 – September 30, 2015.
- A nominator must nominate her/his/their candidate by submitting a letter that highlights why the dissertation qualifies for this award in addition to confirming the successful defense of the dissertation (please see details below).
- An academic review committee, will evaluate the submissions based on quality of the dissertation’s contribution to service research (e.g., originality, theoretical foundations, methodological execution, value of the results to service scholars and managers).
- Thanks to Maastricht University we grant one winner award of $1000 and up to two runner/s-up awards of $500 each.
- The winner(s) will be recognized at the SERVSIG 2016 Conference in Maastricht (in June 2016).
- The winners will have the chance to present their work in a dedicated special session at the SERVSIG conference 2016.
- The submission deadline is November 30, 2015
- Candidates must submit a summary of their dissertation, which should describe the framework of their research studies, research questions, hypotheses (if applicable), related literature, data / methodological approach (if applicable), findings, contributions to service theory and practice, and future research along with limitations of the dissertation. Please note: Authors should provide enough detail for the reviewers to be able to conduct an appropriate evaluation of the work. Both cumulative and non-cumulative dissertations are welcome
- The summary must no exceed 5 single-spaced text pages (not including references, figures, and tables;12-point Times New Roman font, 1 inch margin). Please note that ALL these materials must be submitted in one single file. Please follow the formatting guidelines of the Journal of Service Research. Submissions that do exceed the above page limit, that do not follow the style guide, or that are submitted as multiple files cannot be considered. Similarly, hard copy submissions cannot be considered.
- In addition to the summary document, a nominator has to provide a nomination letter, addressing why the dissertation deserves to be considered for the award. This nomination letter must be included in the submission email. The nominator’s email letter should include the following information: author’s name, phone number/s, e-mail address, the university/school awarding the degree, the date of the successful dissertation defense, name/s of the faculty member(s) on the dissertation committee, and the candidate’s current and future positions.
- The summary and nomination letter need to be in english, but the dissertation itself doesn’t have to be english necessarily.
- If you have any questions about the competition, please contact Werner Kunz
- Please submit the nomination letter & summary of the dissertation via e-mail to Werner Kunz. We will collect the submissions for the academic review committee.
Selection Committee: Jochen Wirtz (NSU, Chair), Allard C.R. van Riel (Radboud U), Anna S. Mattila (PennState), Jens Hogreve (CU Eichstaett), Yany Gregoire (HEC Montreal)